Monday, May 18, 2009

Worst Fears!

If you live here in Cali then you know last night we had an earthquake (not to big, but enough to feel) We had a long day yesterday at a school picnic with games and animals and lots of fun. So we were pretty tired when we got home yesterday especially the three little ones with no nap. So of course the bedtime routine went rather smoothly and the kids were sleeping by 8:30.
Let me just give you a little background...... I HAVE PROBLEMS! Mulek works alot of hours and alot of the time he works nights so I am at home by myself with the kids. The more kids I have the worse I seem to get... I am always running scenarios in my head... "what if we run off a cliff into some water... how do I get all the kids out of the car and out of the water, none can swim and their all in car seats" (not like we even live near cliffs or water) and "what happens if someone breaks into tyhe house?" andI have more likely ones like "How do I get to all the kids in a fire, or earthquake?" Now I actually picture myself "going through the motions" who to get first and where to go and how to get them out.. These things are constantly running through my mind everyday in every situation... ( I told you I have problems!)
So back to last night. The boys have school so I made them go to their room. I was still nursing Makai so I let the girls stay in the front until I got him to sleep and off to bed. So finally Makai is down and I put him in my room in his bed and close the door. So now I come back to the front and WHOO HOO the girls are already asleep... so I pick Aniya up and take her to her room... then I come back and I start watching the rest of my show that was on.. Kalaea was sleeping with her pillow and blanket at my feet and I was just about to take her to her room when I start to hear a loud noise just getting louder (and my neighbors were in their front yard gettting drunk and they started whoo hooing ) and then I just knew like 1 sec before I felt it... "OH CRAP, you have got to be kidding me... who do I get first..." so I get up, grab Kalaea take her and drop her off at the doorway of the boy's room, Gavin is up by then with that "Mooommm" and I told him to get Zae and come to the door (as calmly as I possibly could) then I am off to the next room, My room where the baby is all by himself... so I open the door and grab him then, go across the hall the get Aniya... but it is just about over by now... so I grab her (not to nicely I am still holding Makai) and kind of throw her into the boys room where the rest of the kids are waiting....
(sigh) It's over !
I Just about lost my mind! I couldnt get to all the kids in time! I know this wasnt that bad but what if it was.... I am just going crazy... I call Mulek but no answer... His phone died... so I call my mom and just cry.... I cant believe I couldnt get them all... she tells me its ok and I didnt need to get them all... BUT I HAVE TO BE SUPER MOM .... I JUST HAVE TO BE ABLE TO SAVE THEM ALL....
So now I am reviewing my plans in emergencies and trying to convince myself that everything will be ok and if there was a major earthquake I would have plenty of time to get us all at a safe place or at least all together...
but for now my worst fears were confermed last night.

8 comments:

Rebecca M said...

Awww, I'm so sorry!

I think you can train Gavin to at least get him and Zae to a doorway. And I'm sure you could even train the girls! They can buddy up too.

And then you and Makai can be buddies. And you will all be safe!

Small earthquakes are a good reminder that we need to be prepared huh!?!

I definitely thought this was going to be the big one! Luckily, I was wrong. We can all breathe easier, at least for now! :)

The Peterson's said...

I was at my friends house and freaked out when I couldn't get a hold of Justin! I can't even imagine what was racing through your mind!

I agree with Rebecca. And remember the more you practice the better and easier things get. This would be a good FHE activity for the family. I would practice running drills so when the time comes it will be less stressful!

Jennifer Davis said...

Don't think your crazy I do the same thing. What if we got stuck in a flash flood how would I hold onto both kids on the roof of the car? I know I do the same thing! I think preparing the kids in times like those is important, your boys are old and smart enough. I am so paranoid for FHE we do fire drills, crawl around the house feel the doors, we meet at our mailbox in any emergency. We even told our neighbor once and pretended mom passed out and Kadan had to run to our neighbor and tell him he needed help. I don't know if this is true or not but I heard recently that standing in the doorway isn't as safe as what they thought when we were taught that. Your suppose to lay flat on the ground next to something semi large like a couch, bed or something. They say it leaves some kind of void, so if your asleep your suppose to justl roll of you bed and lay right next to it. I have ment to look into that but sounds interesting. I am so sorry though earthquakes or no fun especially when you are so worried about your family, hope your ok. Don't think your crazy I think it's is a mom thing!

Nicole said...

I have told the older boys many times that if something happens they are to go to the neighbors house (and they know what neighbors house) The boys know I cant get them first and they know to stay together and I will come to them as soom as possible. I just want everyone in the same place, so at least we are together and they wont be as scared.. I feel much better its kinda funny now cause it wasnt even that big... ha ha ha...
Jennifer- I dont have your email address ADD me to your blog renae8282@yahoo.com

The Stokes Family said...

You know I always wonder if I'd rather be back out there with the earthquakes instead of here with tornadoes. I am absolutely terrified of them!! The only thing you can do is have a plan and trust that God will take care of everything else!! Glad you guys are all okay!

Anonymous said...

NICOLE... haha.

You just need to "Love and Logic" it. haha.

Get a word, and that means every kid runs to a doorway. Like Bamboozle! Practice it, and everytime you yell it the kids need to run to the doorways. Problem Solved. THEN you just worry about yourself and Makai.

Nicole said...

Where did you see that in "love and logic" I totally missed it..

Tracy said...

Ughhh!!! I'm having panic attacks just thinking about the things that could happen and I haven't even given birth to Julian yet. Nevermind the fact that I'm petrified to actually push this kid out!

I'm so glad that you guys are all okay and agree with practicing emergency prepardness with the kids!!